-Striving to live a simple, healthy life one day at a time-

Stuffed Patty Pan Squash

I received some patty pan squash in my CSA box and decided to try a recipe that was included with all my vegetables.  Basically it's similar to stuffed green peppers, only you use the squash to hold the mixture. 


It was wonderful!


You can view the recipe that was included in my CSA box here.

My version was slightly different.

Stuffed Patty Pan Squash

6 patty pan squash
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 cup onion - chopped
1-2 cloves of minced garlic
1- 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes or similar amount of fresh if preferred
1/2 jar of traditional spaghetti sauce or more if you like it really saucy
basil & oregano to taste - I used about 1 tsp. of each
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1-2 packets of Truvia (optional for those who like a sweeter sauce)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (to sprinkle on top)

Directions:  Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare the squash by cutting around the stem of each making the top wide enough so the stuffing will fit.  Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds.  Next, brown the turkey; add onion and garlic.  When the turkey is completely browned add in the remaining ingredients except for the mozzarella.  Stir and cook until heated through.  Finally, take the meat mixture and stuff each squash.  Sprinkle mozzarella on the top of each one and bake for 30 minutes or until the squash is soft. 

I'm really enjoying my CSA deliveries!  I'm sure you all are tired of hearing about it.  It's really got me cooking more and eating things that I might not usually buy at the store.  I like that Wishful Acres Farm includes recipes with each delivery as well because I might not know what to do with some of the stuff otherwise.

For those of you who live in the area, I would highly recommend trying a share the next round.  The fall shares are currently for sale!  Check them out!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!