-Striving to live a simple, healthy life one day at a time-

Green Kefir Smoothie with a Kick




  

Some Like it HOT!
I came across a video earlier this week where a girl was talking about chewing your smoothie because it aids in digestion.  This totally makes sense, since digestion first occurs in the mouth.  The enzyme amylase helps with this process.  In order to keep you from gulping down that smoothie too fast, she recommended cayenne pepper.  I gave it a try, and have to say, I'm quite pleased with the flavor and spice it adds.  
First I gathered most of my supplies...




 Chia Seeds are my new favorite addition.  Thanks to Georgia, one of my knowledgeable, health conscious friends (she is one of the gals in our summer book club).  I never knew those chia pet seeds were edible! ;-)





 Just look at all those omegas too! 











I threw in a peach for some fruity sweetness.  




 Mix that up good; then add spinach....lots!  You might want to add an ounce or two of water.







I sprinkled a little cinnamon on it, and made sure I chewed it really good before swallowing. 




I really liked the texture.  It's a thicker smoothie.  The glass is 12 ounces, and I still had maybe 3 ounces left in the blender.  I still considered it all one serving.



Green Kefir Smoothie with a Kick

8 oz. plain kefir
1 tbsp ground flax
1/2 scoop of chia seeds
1 peach
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
1/8 tsp. - 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (you decide how hot to make it)
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
A handful or two of spinach

Directions:  Mix everything but the spinach up first; add the spinach and mix.  Pour into a glass and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!